Finally, no travel adventure is complete without its share of bloopers and mishaps. Here are some of our blooper highlights.
- We almost missed the flight from Munich to Budapest because there was a gate change. We were sleepy from the long flight and did not register that the gate where we were waiting and surfing the Internet was basically empty at boarding time. Finally, with a minute to spare we ran to the other side of the hall and made it on the flight. Moral of the story is to check for gate changes.
- While strolling on Budapest's commercial and touristy shopping street, Vaci Utca, a lady was giving out samples of what looked like colorful gummy bears. Before you could blink, Debbie grabbed one and popped it in her mouth to the amazement of the Hungarian girl holding the tray. They were not gummy bears but soap. Debbie usually is more careful and does not just pop unknown items in her mouth. We spend the next thirty minutes looking for a bathroom where she could wash out the lye-laden soap from her mouth.
- We misfired during the Lake Balaton, Hungary visit by choosing Siofok as our base. It turned out that after the end of August, Siofok turns into a ghost town as everything was shut down after the tourist season. We had a terrific luxury apartment (recently constructed) but due to cold cloudy weather and the deserted atmosphere we were limited on what we could do. We took a ferry to Balatonfured which more of a regular town and more active. That is the place we should have chosen to stay but didn't.
- In Dubrovnik, while strolling in an art museum, Debbie almost stepped on a piece of mobile art which was stationed on the floor. At the last moment, the lady watching over the gallery shouted to watch where Debbie was stepping. One more step and it would have been a disaster. We speculated why the art piece was not cordoned off to avoid such mishaps.
- On the last day in Istanbul, Turkey at the airport, Steve left his North Face vest at the Caffe Nero.